St Martin de Belleville is a traditional Savoyard ski village situated in the heart of The Three Valleys, the world’s largest ski area. However, if you visit St Martin you’ll soon realise that skiing is not the only activity on offer in this truly charming French village. This is why we have published this blog about non skiing activities in St Martin and the Belleville Valley!
There are many other ways to enjoy the snow, explore the area, experience the culture and entertain the kids. And, if you like dabbling in the odd adrenaline-fuelled activity, then why not try driving on an ice circuit, hurtling down Europe’s longest toboggan run, or even some ice climbing? Read on to discover some of St Martin de Belleville’s top non-skiing activities for the whole family.
St Martin de Belleville’s non-skiing, snow activitiestop
Of course, the skiing is exceptional here but there are also lots of other ways to enjoy the winter fun in St Martin de Belleville and Les Menuires. Here are some of the best activities on offer for a completely different and unique snow experience.
Snow Activities in St Martintop
- Snowshoeing by night followed by a meal in a mountain hut.
- Take a ride on a piste-basher (snow groomer) to see the work they do from behind the scenes and enjoy a Savoyard aperitif and nibbles.
- Explore the Three Valleys on foot – purchase a ‘pieton’ pass for pedestrian lift access. Meet up with friends for lunch or head to the neighbouring Meribel village to browse the shops and boutiques. Click here for a map indicating all the lifts that have pedestrian access.
- Dog sleigh ride – spend a couple of magical hours with a pack of sledding dogs, on a trip through the bottom of the Belleville valley; a great experience for all ages.
Snow Activities in Les Menuirestop
- Electric scooter on snow – head out on the trails and circuits in neighbouring Les Menuires.
- Ski-Doo snowmobile trips – explore the mountains and enjoy the scenery after the slopes close in the evening.
- Piste-basher ride and dinner – enjoy a chauffeur-driven ride on a piste-basher up to dinner in the Chalet du Sunny restaurant.
Adrenaline, sporting and action activitiestop
If you’re an adrenaline junkie seeking thrills and adventure then there are plenty of activities to choose from when on holiday in St Martin. Neighbouring Val Thorens offers a huge variety of thrill-seeking experiences from ice climbing to paragliding.
Thrill-seeking experiences in Val Thorens
- Ice Driving – thrill-seekers should head to the Ice Driving circuit to either improve their driving skills on snow or for a real adrenaline hit!
- Hurtle down the longest toboggan run in Europe – there’s 6km of pure fun to enjoy down the Cosmojet run.
- Ice Diving – enjoy a snowshoe walk followed by a 30 minute ice dive beneath the frozen Lac du Lou. It’s open to everyone over 16, even complete beginners.
- Ice Climbing – discover the frozen waterfall climb in Val Thorens. You’ll learn how to use ice axes and crampons and enjoy a unique panorama across the Val Thorens resort.
- Paragliding – discover the Belleville Valley from the air as you descend 650m from an altitude of 3000m.
- Zip-Lines – Val Thorens has two zip line experiences. Fly two-by-two for 1800m on The Bee Flying Double Zip Line or feel like a bird of prey as you glide The Tryolienne at an altitude of 3200m.
Find out more about the sporting and action activities listed above as well as other activities on offer in Val Thorens.
Action activities in Les Menuires to get the heart racing
- Fly a microlight – a microlight is a small plane designed for carrying no more than two people. Experience incredible views over the Vallée des Belleville.
- Fat biking – enjoy the gliding sensation of riding an off-road bike with oversized tyres on snow.
Après ski and evening activities in the Belleville Valleytop
- Roc Seven (at the top of the Roc 1 bubble in Menuires) offers live music on its sunny terrace for a festive atmosphere and delicious Italian food.
- Torchlight descent with ESF (every Wednesday in St Martin during the school holidays)
- Take a piste-basher up to ‘Chalet du Sunny’ in Les Menuires for a meal and a fun way to spend the evening.
Cultural and historical activities in St Martintop
- Visit the local museum and learn all about the Belleville Valley’s fascinating history. An interactive and interesting exhibition for the whole family.
- Watch a film at one of the cinemas in Les Menuires.
Non-skiing activities the kids will lovetop
- Speed Mountain – this is a Luge on Rails in Les Bruyères (Les Menuires) – it’s a small rollercoaster located directly next to the ski slopes; an activity children are sure to love!
- NEW in 2020 – Frozen-themed interest spots – follow in the steps of Anna and Elsa across the whole Three Valleys.
- Tobogganing – give it a go down the Saint Martin nursery slope (sledges can be hired from the ski rental shop) or make your way to the Roc’n Bob track in Les Menuires – A 4km-long tobogganing track!
- Sports centre in Les Menuires is great on a snowy day – With a pool, small slide and kids area! It also has a full-size gym and sauna/steam room area.
- The kid’s fun park in La Croisette is perfect for kids looking to have some indoor fun.
- Bowling in Val Thorens – a great indoor activity for all the family.
Non-skiing activities to revitalise and unwindtop
St Martin de Belleville’s non skiing activities can definitely include relaxing experiences too. We’ve listed some of the best spa experiences available in town (for when you want to kick off those ski boots!).
Béla Vya is part of the renowned 5-star hotel ‘La Bouitte’, situated in the hamlet of Saint Marcel. When booking a massage treatment, you’ll have full use of the spa facilities, and there is even a free shuttle service from your Self Catered-St Martin chalet when pre-booked!
Leen Paô is situated within the ‘Chalets du Gypse’ residence, a short walk from St Martin’s village centre. Book into a massage treatment and have access to all the on-site facilities (swimming pool, two Jacuzzis, two saunas, two hammams and an equipped fitness room) for free.·
Espace Wellness – enjoy a bubble pool, jacuzzi with a view, steam room with essential oils and sauna.
- Keep fit with a wide variety of gym and fitness classes in Les Menuries.
- Enjoy the local food and drink – there are many fantastic places to enjoy a drink or a meal in St Martin. Find out about these best places for breakfast, lunch dinner and après-ski here.
If you fancy trying out any of the activities in this article, then why not visit St Martin de Belleville for your next holiday. We have a fantastic range of self-catering chalets to choose from.
Contact us today to find out more!